Friday, October 17, 2008

A tutorial

So I have seen these medallion flowers all over the place. I believe that I first saw them on the Martha Stewart Show (yes, I watch it sometimes LOL!). After lots of searching on the web I did find the show I watched. It was embellished gift bags and they are super cute!

So I don't own a Scor-Pal (yet) and I don't have those rotary paper cutters that can do fancy edges. I am simple girl after all (yeah, right!). So I thought I would do a tutorial on how I made these flowers using some basic material that I think we would all have.

So first thing you need to get are the materials. Designer/patterned papers, kraft edger scissors/deckle scissors, bone folder, 1/4 inch red liner tape, 1 inch red line tape (not shown in the picture), paper cutter



This is just a picture of some of the Kraft Edgers I have. Plus I'm not sure if people actually call these edgers. So I thought a picture would say it best.


First, cut a strip of patterned paper 1 1/4 inches by 12 inches.
Next cut along the edge as close as possible with you deckle scissors. I like to score a line just 1/16 from the "long" edge of the paper and cut a long that. I use the score line as a guide. When you are done cutting you should have something that looks like this.



Now this is the part where you may want to take a Tylenol. Don't stand hunched over your desk doing this or your back will hurt (like I do). Especially if you are doing more than one flower. The kitchen counter is a good place. Score along the paper every 1/4 inch. You can also score along the peaks or valleys of your deckled strip of paper which should be fairly close to 1/4 inches.



Your strip should look like this.


Then begin the process of folding the scored back and forth like a fan fold.

Once it is all folded attach a piece of the red liner tape to one end and attach to the other end. Make sure they line up together(the peaks/valleys of your folds line up with each other.

Then you will have a circle.



Place the deckled side down and gently push the circle down until it lays flat.



Bring the middle together so there is not a large hole in the middle of your flower. Turn it over and attach a piece of 1 inch red liner tape to the back. Covering the hole and make sure that it is pushed down so that it is holding the flower together. I also put so Zip Dry glue in the center hole and clamped it together with a bag clip to dry. If you have a better way to hold it together by all means do it that way and please share here in the comments section what you used. I also used the liner tape so I could peel the back off a adhere it to my project directly.


Finally, decorate your flower front however you'd like. Used punched circles or scalloped circles, buttons, brads, whatever you'd like. You can also vary the length of the strip of paper you use. So instead of 12 inches try an 10 inch strip. This will vary the size of the flowers. Don't try and alter the 1 1/4 measurement too much. I tried a two inch strip and I couldn't push it down.

Here is the finished flower.



Here is a card I made using these fun medallion flowers. The card I made is for the latest Caardvarks challege-"Score"-which is to make a card using a scoring technique.



I almost have my layout done using the flower I made to show you this tutorial. Keep an eye out for it. It will be on Page Plans Sunday the 25th. I'll post it here too.

This layout won't be posted for much longer I just received an email saying it will be published in the March/April issue of Scrap N' Art eZine. So please check it out in the March/April Issue of Scrap N' Art eZine. There is a link that says "Download!" at the top of the page to download the issue when it comes out. You can see a sample on a Valentine's card I made. Here is the link.
Thanks so much for looking.



Be watching in the next couple days for this week's Page Plans reveal and my first DT Basic Grey Challenges layouts.

Thanks for looking and I hope my tutorial was helpful.
Have a great weekend!
Kristen

7 comments:

Angie C said...

Love your tutorial and a gorgeous card you made too

Anesha said...

What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing.

M@risk@ said...

How nice to share this tutorial with us. Love it and will fftry it myself. Have a good weekend and I'm curious about your layout with this flower.

tiggertastic said...

wow the flowers are excellent, such a good idea, thanks for showing how it is done.

Good luck in the challenge

Sarah x

SmilynStef said...

Cool cool cool ... I love how you left the centers open on some of your flowers (like little circular frames) ... thanks for the great tutorial.

Rach said...

what a great card and tutorial, thanks for sharing. Hugs rach.xx

Phoenix said...

Great tutorial. I'll have to give this one a try.