Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Blustery Day

Blustery but warm and so it's been raining rather than snowing her today. I love it when it snows here. It doesn't stay around too long and if I don't have to drive anywhere then I really love it. I have become "impaired" since moving here to New Mexico and can no longer drive in snowy weather. I'm just like everyone else that lives here now. I think during the last snow storm, there were 60+ accidents in town. And it wasn't that bad out there. But if you are not used to driving in it then what do you expect.

I have had Michelle Giraud's blog, Twisted Chick Creations, bookmarked for a very long time. One the firsts I ever read and now subscribe to. I found her through Embellish-It when she was on the DT there. Anywho, she has just started a sketch challenges on her blog and I thought I would give it a try. So Challenge #1 was to make a 4 x 4 mini accordian card. I actually made mine 5 x 4 just to see how it would turn out. Check out her fab blog and a new sketches to come.

My card is a Christmas themed one. I used some really cool Tinkering Ink Yuletide papers on it and then I used my computer to make the Christmas sentiment inside. I had made these little gingerbread men ornaments from a cinnamon dough recipe I had and decorated them with Stickles, buttons and this really cool stuff called Glistening Snow Writer. I attached it to the card with a large glue dot so it should come off the card pretty easily. I like how it turned out and I have a few more I want to try and make.





If you would like to make cinnamon dough here is the recipe. It's a lot of fun to make and it smells so yummy.
APPLE CINNAMON DOUGH
1 cup cinnamon
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup white school glue (like Elmer's)

1. Add the cinnamon to the applesauce until you get a clay like consistency.
2.Add the glue for added thickeness (adding glue is optional)
3. Once mixed, create chapes with your hands or roll the dough out and us cookie cutters. Roll the dough so it is at least 1/4 inch thick (6 milliliters). I make just a little bit thicker than that.
4. To make an ornament, punch a hole in the top with a straw or pencil (do this carefully).
5. Let the dough dry on a cookie rack. Turn occasionally.

It will take a few days to dry. If you dry them in the oven it tends to warp them and darkens the color of them too. But if you need them dried quickly then do 300 degrees (approx 150 degrees celsius)for 20 minutes.

Well that's all for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Kristen

2 comments:

Lorie said...

Oh, wow! You slammed that challenge out of the park didn't ya? Great job!

Lesli said...

Our weather is super crazy here too! I was in an accident last week on icy roads!

Love your gingerbread card!