Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's warming up here...

Finally we are getting into the 50's here. Later this week it will be 56 degrees. I'm thinking play time at the park for the kiddos. So after this nice and long weekend I have gotten around to posting a few things.

For Basic Grey Challenges this week "we would like to see you use one (or all even if you want to) of these fabulous illustrations which have been designed by our own fabulously talented Kim , (Only people taking part in this challenge are allowed to use these images (for now anyway) and of course when the challenge is over you can continue to use them if you wish but please remember that these images are copyright to Kim and should only be used according to her terms of use), oh and course not forgetting to use at least one item from BasicGrey somewhere on your creation :).

Kim is just so talented and I decided to make a Valentine's card for the challenge.

The papers, chipboard stickers and glazed brad are from the new BG Bittersweet collection. I used a sketch again from the brand new Inspirational Card Sketches blog. It sure saved me some time when creating this card. The "P.S. I love you." stamp is from Papertrey. I colored in Kim's wonderful image with my SU Pastels and a blender pen.

My next sketch challenge reveal is from Page Plans. The awesome sketch this week was done by Chris and we were to do a Valentine's Day theme focusing on children.

And here is my layout. I don't really have any pictures from Valentine's Day last year. I think I scrapped most of them already. But I saw this picture and knew it would work perfectly of my daughter and the kitty she just loves so much. She always wanted to hug the kitty. Even now, she knows the kitty likes to have a "nice pet", she still wants to sneak a hug in. Sierra (kitty) is not as resistant anymore.

I decided to do an oval rather than a circle. I printed out some oval shapes I made with AppleWorks on my computer and then just traced around the the picture and cut it out. I didn't do such a hot job cutting the ovals out, so I distressed the edges quite a bit. It gives it a much softer feel. The papers are (mostly) from MME. The "Love" is chipboard from Basic Grey and the heart for the letter "o" was flocked in red. I used a piece of Tim Holtz Fragments and colored it red using alcohol inks and then just used some silver colored letter stickers on it.

One more card I wanted to share was one I made using some more of the BG Bittersweet collection. It's a pretty big card, just under 6 inches. The heart I pieced together, again, with some flower petal shapes I had. I embossed on petal and stamped into it and the other petal I used some gold leafing on it. The large brown embossed heart in the center was made using some brown and red Coordinations cardstock. I ran it through my Cuttle Bug and lightly sanded it to bring the red color out. this was the first time I used Coordinations so I am pleased with how it turned out. I think this may be a potential "hubby" card for Valentine's Day.



I received another blog award from one of my Basic Grey Challenges teamies, Heather. Please check out her blog, Rica's Haven. She makes such gorgeous stuff!!


So to keep the award going on and on I need to pass it on to 7 of my favorite blogs. Do you know how many blogs I consider my favorites? You should see my blog bookmarks. I even have them categorized into sub areas. And I think I add a new one almost everyday to my list. So I am passing this on to...

Well I hope everyone has a great week!
Kristen

6 comments:

Rica said...

It might be warming up there - it's cooling down here - brrr............
Three gorgeous creations Kristen.
Gorgeous BG card love the colours and papers you've used and your elements fit perfectly.
Love your LO what an adorable picture you've used.
Your valentine card is sensational - love the central heart - core-dinations cardstock is great fun isn't it?
hugs Heather xx

Chris said...

I long for temps in the 50's LOL! Your cards and layout are stunning Kristen! The BG card is so beautiful, I really want the Bittersweet papers LOL! Gorgeous colouring and design, thanks for the link to the sketches blog, I'll be taking a look at that. The layout is so cute with that perfect photograph and your last card for your Hubby is beyond beautiful but perfect for a man, love all the elements and the coredinations card that you used, I love that stuff! Hope you're having a great weekend. Hugs, Chris x

Lesli said...

You are so sweet - thanks for thinking of me - you made my day. Love you LO and your card - too cute!!!

~Michelle~ said...

Thank you for the blog Award Kristin! I'm glad you find my blog inspiring!

I love your BG card for hubby....you rocked that chipboard girl!! Love it!! :)

Jenyfur said...

Thank you for listing me on your blog award! You have a great bog, Kristin, it's very uplifting. :) xoxo

Danita said...

Great BG card but I love all the projects you posted. I love those striped BG chipboard pieces too!!!