Sunday, February 1, 2009

Getting ready for an exciting Sunday!

So my man, Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals are in the Superbowl! I am so excited for them and I'm not sure I'll be able to watch. I tend to go a little crazy when I watch certain sporting events. This game is one such sporting event. But I went to the University of Northern Iowa when Kurt Warner was the quarterback there. I think I graduated a semester before him and we were in the same building for our degree. I think he was Communications and I was in Communicative Disorders. So I have watched him from college, to arena football, to NFL Europe, to leading the Rams to Superbowl victory in 2000. His career has been one incredible ride for him.

For Saturday at Basic Grey Challenges... "we have another sketch for you to follow, you can resize and even flip the sketch but please make sure that the original sketch can be recognized easily in your creations, feel free to also add any other embellishments etc to your creations and of course not forgetting to use at least one item from BasicGrey."

Here is the wonderful sketch.




And here is the card I made.




For Page Plans this week we had another wonderful sketch to work on made by Lesli.




And here is my layout.




I was on a roll this weekend with doing some challenges on some of my favorite challenge blogs.

I finally had a chance to do the Caardvarks challenge this week called Seeing Spots. It's been so long since I have done a challenge with them. I was so happy to get back into the swing of things again. My card is based on a sketch by Becky Fleck and was featured on a Cuttlebug Challenge (#15) I had done a week or so ago. I just loved the sketch and loved the card of the winner of the challenge, that I had to try my own version of it.

Here is what I came up with.

It is super flowery. Definitely not something I would send in the mail but to take to a wedding or something along those lines. I barely attached the sentiment to the card, just in case I wanted to make it a birthday card or something like that.

Another card I made was for Cuttlebug Challenges Be Inspired #16 which was to use distressing on your creation. I have been wanting to try these clear cards from Short Cuts and decided to try and distress them somehow. So I ran the front of the card through my Cuttlebug using my Swiss Dots folder. Then I applied alcohol inks to the now "dotted" front and back of the card. I did this mainly to hide the adhesive I used on the cardstock since it is a clear card you'll be able to see the back of the cardsotck on the inside of the card. Then I ran a piece of Coordinations cardstock through the Cuttlebug using my D'Vine Swirls folder and then sanded it down to bring out the pink color. Icut and embossed the butterfly too and distress it on the edges a bit and rubbed Distress Ink over the dotted texture. I tried to go with the polka dotted theme of the card. I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt at making a clear card.


The next 2 cards I made using Sketch #18 by Laura from the 2 Sketches 4 You challenge blog.


It's been a while since I have done a challenge here too. But I had these circle Valentine's cards from My Minds Eye that I bought last Valentine's Day and decided to cut them up. The circle heart on the front is from that card set. The first card is for Valentine's Day and the 2nd card I think I will give to my hubby for our 8 year anniversary coming up next month (right after Valentine's Day).





Well that's it.
Not much scrappin' for me today. I'll be rooting for Kurt and the Cards later today.
I hope they win!
Kristen

12 comments:

Rica said...

WOW Kristen - who's been a busy girl. Love 'em all, especially the mauve colours and image on the BG and the layout is super, perfect for male photos.
hugs Heather xx

Angie said...

Wow, you have been busy Kristen. Your cards and the layout are all beautiful.

Chris said...

Hi Kristen, you're not going to believe this but my Son is watching the Superbowl here right now as I'm typing!!! He's been waiting for it to come on all day LOL! I'm definitely cheering for the Cardinals now I know you're nearly on speaking terms with Kurt tee hee! Seriously, I hope they win, I'd also like to find out how excited you'll be if they do tee hee again! You've been so busy with all these fabulous projects. Your BG card is stunning, love the stamp and the papers that you used, your layout is wonderful, love the blue with that little bit of green here and there and in the photo. The CB flower card is so gorgeous, I really wanted to do that challenge I loved that sketch so much but haven't managed it yet, this would be perfect for a birthday or a wedding, it's exquisite. Your acetate card is so beautiful and very sophisticated. I really want to try alcohol inks and I love the dreamy effect you've achieved on your card. The big bloom and butterful are fantastic. Love the Valentine card and I know your Hubby will love his anniversary card. You're oozing talent everywhere Kristen, please send some here tee hee. Hugs, Chris x

Meda said...

Your cards rock!
Thank you for playing with us at Cuttlebug Challenge Blog

Lesli said...

Great LO Kristen! Your cards are wonderful!

Helen said...

Wow - you have been busy!
Love them all!
Helen x

Mrs J said...

Wow, Kristen, you've been a busy bee! All gorgeous creations but especially your Cuttlebug Challenges card - beautiful! I love all the distressing you have done, it works perfectly, and I love how you have used a clear card for the base.
Thanks for taking part this week at Cuttlebug Challenges!
Hugs Mrs Jx

Alison said...

Wow all gorgeous creations your distressing is fab and i love those butterflies. That big bloom is magnificent. Thanks for joining in the Cuttlebug Challenge.

Lea L. said...

Lots of gorgeous creations you have posted here!! Love each and every one of them. I really love how you ran the frosted cardbase through your Cuttlebug and then applyed the inks to it...very cool idea! Great job with the distressing challenge, and all the others as well!

~Lea

Maggie said...

i luv how you use the frosted to emboss.
Maggie
You will be featured on http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com
on 2/5/o9

Captain Scrappy said...

wow, these are all gorgeous! :)

M@risk@ said...

Beautiful layout for PP and nice card with Bittersweet papers, but esp. love the cards in black/white/red. Have a good weekend.