Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Midweek reveal at Page Plans

I have finished up the kiddos Valentine's treats they will give out this Friday at their class parties. Everything turned out so cute and they both can't wait to pass them out to their friends. I also wanted to share the bonus sketch we got to do this week at Page Plans. So please go and check out the bonus sketches this week and give them a try.

So here is the lovely sketch I used for my layout.


And here is my layout. I thought the photo should be in Sepia and it really worked with the Basic Grey Bittersweet papers I used. I love this sketch and I used it for my Basic Grey Challenges layout for this coming Saturday's challenge. Make sure to take a peek then.




Here are the treats I made for my daughter Caden to give to her classmates for Valentine's Day. I saw the shovel idea on SCS and since she loves dinosaurs I thought this was just so perfect for her to give out. I found the red shovels on ebay.



My son, Garrett, wanted to have Robots for his Valentine's Day treat bags. I actually made the treat bag toppers a couple weeks ago. Today I made peanut butter cocoa rice krispie treats in the shape of a Valentine. They turned out so yummy. I had never tried to make them with the Cocoa Krispies cereal. But I figured they had to taste something like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup which are my son's favorites and they did. Thank goodness there wasn't much left over.

The recipe is very simple. My mom always made rice krispie treats this way when I was growing up. I never really had the marshmallow version until much later.

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo Corn Syrup

Put those ingredients in a pan on the stove and bring to a rolling boil for a minute or two, constantly stirring.

Have a big bowl filled with 6 to 7 cups of Rice Krispies or Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal. Then pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir it up. Then pour onto a greased cookie sheet and press it out to 1/2 inch to 3/4 in thickness. Then while it still soft, cut into what ever shapes you would like. I did hearts. Once the shapes were cut I placed them on wax paper and then I assembled the treat bags.

Here is how they turned out.



One other thing I wanted to share was another layout I did for the Friday Free-for-All contest on the Page Maps blog. You have until February 16th to make a layout based on the sketch by Becky Fleck. You should see the awesome prize package for it. I just love her sketches! I had bought this houndstooth patterned paper and wondered what I was going to do with it. I'm not a houndstooth fan but when I saw the sketch I knew this was the time to use it.




Isn't it just so colorful. The flowered papers are by CherryArte and it's hard to see but the green background is a houndstooth print too. I did some handstitching too. The letters for "frogs" are from Basic Grey and I ran them through the CuttleBug in the Tiny Bubbles embossing folder and then brushed them over a green Distress Ink pad. Kind of a fun thing to do with simple white letters.

But on top of dinosaurs my daughter loves frogs too. Mention the words baby doll or Barbies to her and she will give you a look of disgust and tell you she'll never play with those things. My cute little tomboy!

Well that's all for now. I am going to play tomorrow and work on some card sketches with a friend. Have a great rest of the week.

Kristen

2 comments:

Lesli said...

What a cute valentines gift! I love what you did with our sketch - it's an absolutely beautiful page!

M@risk@ said...

Adorable layout for Page Plans and your Valentine gift for your daughters classmates is too cute. Have a wonderful weekend.