Saturday, February 21, 2009

What a week!

This week has been packed full of all kinds drama for me. Monday night I found out I got on the new Card Design Team for My Sketch World.



Totally surprised me on that one and it really made my day after arguing with my darling husband. Lucy, who owns the this awesome sketch blog also started a forum. The forum is a very hopping place right now and by the end of today I think there will be 100+ members. that's pretty good since it just stated this past Wednesday. So please come and sign up. A
Blog-a-versary crop is going on now too with all sorts of challenges to do. A lot of the have RAK's so it could be worth your while. If you do sign up please mention that I sent you. There is a little contest for that too. :wink:

The next day, Tuesday my sister forwards an email to me about a high school friend of her's daughter. She has been having seizures practically her whole life. It is finally taking its toll on her. Doctors finally figure out that she has Rasmussen's Encephalitis, a rare and degenerative brain disease. So the treatment for this is to have the right half of her brain removed and hopefully she will be one of the 75 to 80 percent of those that no longer have seizures. Such a dramatic procedure and only 20 surgeries like this are done in a year in the US. I know 20 is small number but that still seems like a lot of people to me. I have heard and seen some documentaries about people that have had portions of their brain removed and go on have fairly normal lives. I really hope this works for Rachel. Surgery will be at the UCLA Medical Center with a team of surgeons on March 26th. So if you could, please pray for her and her family.


So on Thursday a long time family friend (my mom's very good friend) passed away. She was very ill last year and was in the hospital for months. Then a few weeks ago they find a tumor (I think on her kidney) and tested it for cancer. It was and so she did a round of chemo. She came from that and started having breathing problems again so back to the hospital. They couldn't figure out what was going on with her. So they check her bone marrow and found she had blood cancer. I never knew you could have blood cancer. So she is moved into hospice on Wednesday and is gone the next day. I didn't think she would go that fast. A few weeks maybe. So there is some sadness in my heart.

Because of all this I felt a bit rushed to get my other DT projects done in time for reveals this weekend. My Page Plans reveal, which will be tomorrow, wasn't too rushed thank goodness. I had most of it finished last week. My Basic Grey Challenges card that I made could have been better. I look at the other DT's creations and feel a bit underdone. But this weeks challenge is a color combo challenge. " We would like you to pick one of the following colour combos for your creations (Skin and white card colours are allowed too),

Pink and Green

Pink and Brown

Blue and Brown

So what are you waiting for, pick your favorite combo and get crafting :), but of course not to forget to use at least one item from BasicGrey on your creation. As a special treat from the DT this week we were given a cupcakes download from The Cutting Cafe. you have to check this place out--printable stamps. Printable stamps are images that you download onto your computer. They are in a PDF format which can be read by Adobe Acrobat, which I think everyone has on their computer. They also can be opened with Preview for you Apple users. I became very familiar with Preview when Adobe took their sweet to upgrade their reader to work on the new OS on Macs last year. But I digress. Back to The Cutting Cafe...I just hopped over their and I see some stuff I am going to get....so cool. Also check out the owner, Regina Easter's blog, Hand to Paper. Lots of good inspiration there too.

Here is the link for the cupcakes printables we got to use for this weeks challenge. Aren't they awesome.

Here is my card. I used some Doodlebug sugared glitter for the frosting and some Stickles too (it's a little hard to see that though-sorry). I also used the Big Printable Frame from The Cutting Cafe too on my card. I used my Granola papers for a blue and brown color combo.


So with all that has gone on this week, Tuesday was our 8th wedding anniversary. It seems every year around the time of our anniversary we have an argument. We don't fight or argue much, probably once a year. And of course it's around our anniversary which is sort of funny I guess. Tonight we are going to Indigo Crow (my favorite restaurant) for dinner to celebrate 8 wonderful years of marriage. I can't wait.


Well that's all for today. Check back tomorrow for my Page Plans reveal and a new program called SCAL that I downloaded for my Cricut. I am so excited about it.

Kristen

Sorry for such a long post.

5 comments:

Boots the Monkey (Jo) said...

Hi Kristen

So sorry to hear all your awful news this week darlin. I hope things pick up for you.

Your card is terrific and I love the cupcake you chose and this gorgeous colour combo.

Take care and have a good week,

Lots a love and a big hug,

Jo x

Lorie said...

Wow, girl. That is a lot of stuff going on. Hugs to you with all of it! Your artwork is lovely! :o)

Chris said...

Oh Kristen, what a week you've had Sweetie! I'm so sorry to hear about your neice's friend, I'll certainly be thinking about her and hoping the surgery will give her a full recovery. A sad time with the passing of your family friend, a shock when it happens so quickly too. You and your hubby are the same as me and mine, we always argue just ahead of our anniversay too, there must be something in that! Glad you're sorted now and hope you have a lovely night out to celebrate. I don't think your card is underdone at all, I love it. The way you did the icing looks wonderful and I love the shape template you used as the background. Perfect papers too. Big congrats on making the design team, I'm so happy for you and I'm looking forward to seeing what you create. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'm sure next week will be better. Big hugs, Chris xxx

Rica said...

Oh Kristen, what a rough time you're having at the moment. It all seems to happen at once doesn't it?
Hope you had a great night out on Saturday to celebrate your anniversary and that all fall-outs were forgotten - I'm sure they were.
I think it's a lovely card, your background shape is fab and your sparkly frosting is fantastic.
hugs Heather xx

Calia Yang said...

I love your basic grey card - I am not sure what color I want to use and which basic grey pp I wanna use. ^_^ we'll see I guess. Thank you for the lovely comment! *hugs*

I hope your sister's hs friend's daughter will do well during the surgery.