Sunday, April 5, 2009

A new week

I really wish the weather would make up it's mind around here. A few weeks before it actually turned officially spring, it was sunny and warm. Just beautiful! Now that spring has sprung it's been cold and super windy! I mean the wind has just been the worst. And with no rain the dust is awful too. One day the sky was brown because of all the dirt. The weather today looks cool but no wind, thank goodness. It seems whenever Garrett has T-Ball practice the weather is not the greatest.

Yesterday was Garrett's opening day for the Little League baseball team he is on. He is in T-Ball and got to wear his little uniform and run the bases. Orbit, who is the Albuquerque Isotopes (our Triple-A farm team for the LA Dodgers) mascot, was also there to high-five the kids.
Isn't he a cute little Mascot!


Then there was a big group photo of all the teams. It was soooo windy and cold, we didn't stick around for too long. Too bad, it would have been nice to be out and about there yesterday.

Here are some pictures from yesterday's event.

What a cutie!!
Although he prefers I say handsome!

Altamont Little League



So I am keeping busy these days. My big project, that I just finished yesterday and mailed off, was some barn card birthday invitations and cow card Thank you note cards. So a couple months ago a friend of mine in Texas asked for some birthday invites for her son's 6th birthday. They are going to have it a a farm with a petting zoo and lots of other fun things I am sure. I had just gotten SCAL for my Cricut and thought I am going to make a barn shaped card for this. Well, I wasn't sure how to do that so I researched the Web and found all kinds of sites that had svg. files on it to use in SCAL. But I couldn't find a barn anywhere. Instead I found Mary Rudakas. She makes all these wonderful .svg files and there was a link to send her a picture or sketch of an idea and she would turn it into the .svg fies for you. So I did just that. I drew up a picture of a simple barn and emailed it to her. In less than 24 hours she emailed me a picture of what she had come up with. It was amazing. So then I was off to create. Her is a link to Mary's Etsy Shop. Check out all her great creations. You can also find her stuff at SVG Cuts (see link further down in this post).

Here is the end result of my little adventure.

This was so fun to do. Then I discovered Inkscape. You need Inkscape to make yor own .svg files and then use those files to put into SCAL for your Cricut. I decided I could do this and I made the cutest cow shaped note card that my friend also wanted to write than you notes for the party.

Here is the card that I made from scratch.

If you are interested in the files for this card, I have it in .svg format and .scut format (for and A2 size and square sized cards). Please drop me a line and I'll figure out how to get them to you. I even flocked the white spots on the cow. It was so fun to make!!


For Basic Grey Challenges this week we were to make a card with a spring and/or Easter theme.
Again, I used an .svg for the cute bunny of this card. I bought this wonderful Easter Set and Bunny set from SVG Cuts. The set with the bunny can be seen here. And of course we were to use some Basic Grey on our project. I used the Blush and Bittersweet lines on my card. I also used a sketch from the Cardmaker's Sketch Book from Tanya Fox. Such a wonderful resource to have handy.


SVG Cuts also has a forum you can join and a blog to browse too. It's a great place to get information on SCAL and Inkscape and troubleshoot any issue you may be having.

I have some more cards and things to post. But I will have to do that later this week.
Until then, I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Kristen

6 comments:

Rica said...

Hi Kristen, fabulous card - that Bunny really brought a grin to my face - he is so cute! Fabulous layout and papers - I love that border at the top = it's gorgeous.
Love your barn card - what fun - your friend is really going to love these invites and that cow has such a wonderful expression on his face.
hugs Heather xx

TaraG said...

Love your bunny card this week for the BG challenge, Kristen! The papers are fab and the card design is too!!! The barn and cow are super adorable! I Know I love my Silhouette, so, I'm sure you are loving your Cricut too!!!
Well, it looks like you are really having fun with it!!!
Have a great week!
Hugs,t

SaScoma said...

Your cards are too cute! I absolutely LOVE the cow!

Lesli said...

Your cards are awesome - too cute! Your little fella looks as happy as can be! I hope your weather warms and stabilizes soon!

Cathy said...

Oh thats a fabulous card. I love your little cow. Thats for the SVG links going to check it out. Im new to SCAL.

Mary said...

I was blog hopping today and ran across your orbit picture... It cought my eye because I live in Albuquerque, and our company sponsors the Isotopes and Orbit is always sooooo fun.